Friday, November 10, 2006

A few interesting facts from "Molecular biology of the cell"


Here follows a few of the astonishing facts that you will learn if you read "Molecular Biology of the Cell" by Alberts et. al.

Did you know that
- During cell division your DNA is replicated at a speed of 1million nucleotide base pairs per second, and yet a mistake only occurs one time for every 1billion base pairs!
- Each nucleus in your body contains aproximately 2 meters of DNA in a nucleus that is six micrometers in diameter, this is equivalent to packing 40 kilometers of fine thread into a tennisball!
- All the ATP in our body (about one billion molecules) is used and recycled every 1-2 minutes. That means that we use and recycle 10000000 molecules of ATP per second!
- A extension of a grove in an enzyme by one nanometer can reduce its efficiency in carrying out its reaction by more than a thousand fold!

2 comments:

krishna kashyap av said...

Really interesting and
useful information..
We rarely get such info
in school texts.
Thanks for the post.
Work from home

Anonymous said...

I am the kind of guy who loves to taste unprecedented things. Presently I am building my hold pv panels. I am making it all by myself without the aid of my staff. I am using the net as the only way to acheive that. I saw a really awesome site that explains how to create solar panels and wind generators. The internet site explains all the steps needed for photovoltaic panel building.

I'm not sure about how correct the data given there iz. If some people over here who have xp with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the thread it will be great and I'd really treasure it, because I truly enjoy solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. U guys are the best.